Open position Microbiologist Position in Molecular Oncology Lab (100%)
Institute of Oncology Research (IOR)
Institute of Oncology Research (IOR)
The IOR, affiliated with the Università della Svizzera italiana (USI), is in a brand-new high-tech research building that hosts more than 20 different research groups, with state-of-the-art labs and facilities. Together with the Institute for Research in Biomedicine (IRB), the IOR is a member of Bios+, a recently established non-profit association aiming to promote, support, and coordinate scientific research and teaching activities of its members (biosplus.ch). IOR offers a multicultural environment and daily occasions of interaction with world leaders in the fields of cancer, basic immunology, cancer immunology, and microbiota. The Alimonti lab offers a brand-new, fully equipped lab of 150m2 and an international, stimulating, dynamic, and friendly atmosphere. The lab has several research units (more info at https://ior.usi.ch/en/group/molecular-oncology)
Job description and project background
We are looking for a versatile scientist with expertise in microbiology. The successful candidate will be testing bacterial products in bacterial competition assays and in-vitro assays with eukaryotic cell lines. The work will be performed in close collaboration with an innovative IOR spinoff startup. You bring broad experience in developing microbial competition assays, microbial isolation, bacterial protein purification, and in-vitro test of bacterial products on cancer cell lines, closely collaborating with other team members. You will be part of a brilliant group trying to identify and generate a proof-of-concept product that will be developed into pre-clinical and clinical phases shortly. By actively managing timelines, and prioritizing project goals and deliverables, you make sure that together we reach our goals. Your position goes along with the clear perspective to develop yourself into a cutting-edge scientific team, increasing your scientific and management skills.
• Conduct experiments to support the development of new products and technologies.
• Work with bacteria performing microbiology assays and tests (isolation of bacteria from complex microbiome, fastidious bacterial cultivation, purification of bacterial proteins, microbial competition assays, MIC test).
• Implement and develop assays to test bacterial products on cancer cell lines (Cell culture, Proliferation assays, Apoptosis assays) to evaluate the performance of products.
• Design, evaluate, interpret, and present results, proposing recommended actions.
• Maintain accurate laboratory records.
• Work In close contact with other team members. Your profile
• You have a Ph.D. or MSc in Biology or Biotechnology with microbiology expertise.
• Strong background in microbiology and related techniques.
• Experience with molecular biology techniques such as PCR, qPCR, and cloning.
• Experience with fastidious bacterial cultures, bacterial competition assays, bacterial proteins, protein production, and purification.
• Experience with basic in-vitro assays involving eukaryotic cell lines (proliferation, apoptosis). • Knowledge of statistical analysis and data visualization tools.
• Strong verbal, scientific, communication and organizational skills.
• Ability to work independently and in a team.
What we offer
We offer a highly competitive salary and benefits package (gym discounts, car fleet discounts, halfprize train card, etc) and the opportunity to work with a dynamic team on cutting-edge projects. The selected candidate will be part of an effort to bring to the clinic a novel product, with the possibility to be a startup employee in the near future. Initial appointment: 1year-100%
Please submit your application in a single PDF-File including the following documents at email@example.com (reference: Surname_AA_Microbiologist2023):
• Motivation Letter
• 2 Reference Letters (or contact details of referees)
Deadline July 15th, 2023
Starting date September 1st, 2023